Sunday, October 26, 2008

My 1/2 Marathon!!!

So I DID IT!!! I ran my first 1/2 marathon on Saturday, October 25 and it was GREAT! I can't tell you how good it feels to have accomplished this goal. I started training for this 3 months ago and worked really hard to get my endurance level up. There were some weeks me and Katy ran 10 to 15 miles in a week. It was hard work, but TOTALLY worth it. I "hit the wall" at about 10.5 miles and thought, "I can't do this, I can't run anymore, this whole race has been up hill!" I stared up this hill that looked like it went on FOREVER! I swear I couldn't see the top, so I decided to walk. I walked for about 1 min and just prayed to Heavenly Father to give me the strength to see my goal to the end. Something inside of me clicked and I started running again and just thought "you can do this, you've come this far don't you DARE give up NOW!" So I just ran and walked the last couple of miles. It slowed my time down, but I still feel really good about my finish time. My goal was to finish the 13.1 miles in 2 hours and 10 mins. I crossed the finish line in 2 hours and 15 minutes! Next time I want to finish in 2 hours!!! Yes, the next 1/2 marathon in is Jacksonville, Florida on Feb. 15! I can't wait!!!
Kathleen, Katy, Stephanie & Me with our t-shirts and medals.

Here we are at 7:00 in the dark and COLD!!! Don't we look excited

Jared and the kids cheered me on as I crossed the finish line. I can NOT tell you what it means to know they are waiting for you and when you get to where you can see them, it's the greatest feeling. This is what family is all about, supporting each other and being there for each other!




9 comments:

Lisa said...

Dawn, you are incredible!!! Good for you, that inspires me! Your arms and legs are cut girlfriend, you can tell you've been training! Congratulations on your big accomplishment!

KatSpy said...

Are you as sore as I am? Yesterday it was my joints and today it's my muscles. BIG time thanks for going to the end with me. You ROCK! I so appreciate your encouragement those last few miles.

Rebecca said...

You go girl! What a great accomplishment!

Anonymous said...

GF, you rock! Hats off to you - what an awesome accomplishment! You are an inspiration! Jordan

The Ellsworth Gang said...

Many Thanks to you.... my running buddy... for keeping me on track! You are awesome Dawn! I'm so glad we got to train together!! I am still in pain but look forward to the HALF at JaxBch in the Spring!! Go Gators! :-)

Kizzy said...

You Rock!! I am so proud of you:) I am counting the days till you come!! love you!

Marcie said...

Very impressive! You go girl! I wish I still lived in GA - I would've loved to have run with you. Looks like you had a fun group of support. I look forward to seeing the pic's from your next 1/2 marathon. Hope all is well with you and the fam!

Vanessa said...

What an inspiration to so many! This is something I want to do but haven't built up that drive just yet. Great job and congratulations on such a HUGE accomplishment!

By the way, I found y'alls place by following a trail of blogs. It's great to see your family, y'all are all a bunch of hotties. :c)

My blog is private, email me at mamaquan at gmail dot come if you want me to add you to the VIP list.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for all the pictures I so enjoy all your effort. This is just great!