Monday, November 24, 2008

What I am Thankful For

Yesterday I sat in sacrament meeting and listened to a talk on gratitude. The speaker challenged us to give more prayers of "thanks" instead of asking for this or that. She said something that really hit home with me. She said that Heavenly Father already knows the wants and needs that we have so we should give thanks to show our appreciation to Him. I just sat and thought how true I knew that to be and how I know I need to do that more often! So at this Thanksgiving season I would like to write about all the many things that I am thankful for.

I am thankful for this beautiful country I live in. I am grateful for the soldiers that leave their families to stand up and fight for my freedom. I grateful that their families support them in this. I am grateful for eternal families. I am grateful to know that even though we are not together much, we love each other and are ALWAYS there for each other. I am grateful for my amazing husband and SOUL MATE! I am so glad that he is my best friend and he loves me with all of my good qualities and BAD qualities! I am grateful to know that we will be together FOREVER. I am grateful for our 3 BEAUTIFUL children. I am grateful that they are all strong, smart, sensitive and they are just all around GOOD KIDS! I am grateful to know that I have "true" friends! Friends that know I have ADD and love me anyway! :) I am grateful that I have FUN friends that are just plain 'ole "good people"! I am grateful for my healthy body. I am grateful for a roof over my head and food on my table EVERY day! (even though I could stand to skip a few meals!) I am grateful for good music. I am grateful for funny movies. I am grateful for the opportunities that I have had to travel to beautiful places with WARM sunny beaches! I am grateful for a reliable car to drive me anywhere I would like to go. I am grateful my husband knows how much I love to shop and "somewhat" supports my "habit"! ;) I am grateful for memories of good times and loved ones to share them with. I am grateful that I have been able to be a stay at home mom for 13 years and be home when my kids get home from school.

Most importantly I am thankful for my testimony of the Gospel. No matter how simple and elementary it may be, I know that I have a true testimony. I am grateful that I am one of the lucky people that know about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and that I believe it is TRUE. I am grateful that I am not one of the lost souls wondering around trying to figure out what my life is missing. I am grateful for my trials that knock me down and build me up. I am grateful for a calling that makes me want to pull my hair out and helps me grow spiritually all at the same time. I am grateful that I know that Heavenly Father know my name and loves me.

These are a few of the things I am grateful for at this Holiday Season. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I needed that. Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving.

KatSpy said...

That was great Dawn. Thanks for the inspiration!

The Ellsworth Gang said...

Loved it - we should all start a tradition of recording our thanks during this season. You're awesome!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Inspiring thoughts! I was thinking just today before I read this, what a great way it is to get "restarted" on our prayers by just saying THANKS! It spurs us on to a new start on getting closer to the Lord again!

Love to all -- Nana Marcom